Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Background Information on Ruth

Allow me to introduce myself.  As the female chaperone for the fall 2014 ICS trip, I (Ruth) am excited about the countries we will minister in and the amazing students on this trip.  God has opened up many opportunities for me in the past to be His hands and feet to serve others.   For the past six years I taught English as a Second Language (ESL) to foreign born adults in Northfield and Bloomington, MN. During this time, I have taught beginners to advance English learners. 
God has used a series of events in my life to bring me to both teaching ESL and to chaperone this UNW ICS tour.   Some of those events were completing a MA in Linguistics.  As part of my MA research program, Afghan families read Dari and Pushtu (the two main Afghan languages) children’s books with their children to preserve their home language and culture.   Prior to my MA studies, I worked in South Asia (Pakistan and Afghanistan) for nearly 20 years with a Christian organization teaching Afghans about solar energy and health education.   Some of these cross-cultural experiences contributed to my qualifications and experience to chaperone the ICS students. 
Thank you for this privilege to travel with UNW students and Dr. E.  We are ready for the opportunities God has before us both during this trip and what God plans on doing in and through our live.  
More updates for the team and photos should arrive soon.  We do not always have internet access.


No comments:

Post a Comment